Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Why Journalists Matter #573

This, from Robert Feder's interview with former Chicago Tribune editor Ann Marie Tara Lipinski. Seems especially relevant considering all the misguided talk about how Twitter "reported" the story on bin Laden's death, not news organizations. Booyeah.

Q. Do you feel you’re still as well informed as you’d like to be?

A. When I was an editor I used to say that the value of something like the Chicago Tribune is the hands of all these editors and reporters making choices for you, the reader — culling information, reporting it, writing it, editing it, shooting it. You don’t have time in your life to do that, or you may not know how to do it, so we’re going to do that for you. But frankly, there were times when I suspected I was just saying that because that’s what I did. I wanted to think it was true.

But I am more convinced than ever of the value of that. I crave great editing. I crave it. Because I don’t have time, and I don’t have a bunch of journalists I can send off to answer the question I want answered or solve the problem I want solved. That’s not my work anymore. And I so value it when it’s done well. I don’t want to have to be my own editor as much as I want somebody else doing it for me. I’m a big admirer of it being done well.

1 comment:

Vivian said...

The Microsoft Project 2010 particular Microsoft Project 2010 download software, commonly atart training . sticking to simple extends: (A particular) industry route -- WBS betterment method, this specific endeavor troubles In addition to due dates, job opportunities of ingenious Microsoft Project 2010 download marriage, declaring responsibilities; (Mainly Two) Plan Watch