Monday, December 6, 2010

I'm taking my talents to North Shore*

We're Chicago-bound.

Monster/Brother and I are making the big move to the Windy City. He says he's going for "work," but his tweets would indicate that the only real work he's doing is trying to win us NBA Jam for our apartment. Speaking of which, housing plans are still finalizing, but we've got our eye on a couple of good locations including a place just down the street from a new-ish Brit-style gastropub with a brew called "Two Brothers' Bitter End."

Perfect, right?

As for me, I'll be cannonballing into the world of freelance magazine writing. After working at newspapers in Kansas City, Mississippi, Columbia and Joplin, it's time to get on with the 'zines. Problem is, there aren't a lot of staff writing positions, so I'll be cobbling projects together. (I just hope I won't be making soup from vitamin tablets or filing features from my iPhone. [Although it wouldn't be the first time.])

Until the move, I'll be suckling from the parental teat for food and shelter for a couple weeks or three while I try to line up revenue streams and regular clients. Things are already taking off, but I'll try to keep the business-speak to a minimum for interest reasons as well as contractual issues.

There's a lot to be figured out though: everything from LLC vs. sole proprietorship to tax management for self-employed dummies. Better start Googling.

Oh, and remember that one time I said I'd be jump-starting this blog? Well, recaps of Argentina, Mississippi and Kansas City are coming. Hey-oh.

*Thanks, Lebron.

No comments: