Wednesday, October 21, 2009

War in Peace Park

I was driving by Peace Park on Saturday when I noticed, ironically, a full-on melee between men and women dressed in medieval-style armor. They were going to town on each other with weapons made out of Rattan, a bamboo-like material used for furniture. But unlike bamboo, Rattan is solid, and it packs a punch. These lords and ladies were real bruisers.

Turns out the gathering was part of the Society for Creative Anachronism, a medieval reenactment group founded back in the 1960s. It's an international organization, and the United States is split up into kingdoms – most of Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and part of Arkansas make up the kingdom of Calontir. In fact, Columbia has its own group, the Shire of Standing Stones.

Turns out my fencing coach was even there. Makes me excited to get back into the sport. Here are 12 images from the brawl.



1 comment:

Paul Rolfe said...

That's hilarious. I wish I could stumble upon more medieval battles in my life.