Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Metal & Glass


(Oct. 11, 2009) An empty wine glass shatters. Conceptually, this photo could be used as the advertising foundation for a number of different products, from glassware to wine or fine liquor. It’s simple, and it’s classic. Example: "Absolut Vodka. We blow the competition out of the water."

I’m a big proponent of simplicity, and I think that idea worked with this picture. I can see how some colored liquid inside the glass as it shattered might have been a nice addition, but my technical skills prohibited me from nabbing a non-simulated picture of the glass actually breaking. I shot at f/16 and 1/250s with an ISO of 100. I had a 200mm lens on the camera, which after the 1.6x crop made it closer to 360 and compressed the image nicely. I like the way the reflection of the stem looks like it’s bending. I just realized, after printing my critique, that my white balance was set to Auto. Womp, womp.

A giant thanks to my partner, August Kryger, for all his help. Check out his half of the assignment, metal.

3 comments:

Brenden said...

so how did you shatter it?

Seth Putnam said...

We broke the glass in a bag with a hammer, and then August dropped the shards from above.

Emily Moberly said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!