Thursday, October 22, 2009

Advanced Techniques: Single Flash

Here are two selects and one outtake from my single flash assignment from Advanced Techniques in Photojournalism. Struggled quite a bit with this assignment, trying to figure out proper exposures while using the flash. I’m not very comfortable with my ability to control the settings or the intensity on the flash-end of the camera, which left me trying to figure things out by trial and error on the camera-side of things according to the histogram.


I thought this one had some potential. I like the way the flash cast a huge shadow of the dancing student on the side of the building, but unfortunately there were too many other problems with it (low exposure, busy composition, etc.) to use it as a select.

CAPTION: (Oct. 21, 2009) A student dances outside Schurz Hall. Residence Life organized a barbecue and a dance party to celebrate MU's Homecoming Week.

COMMENT: (Oct. 21, 2009) Austin Huff, 23, blows out the candles on his birthday cake, which read, "Happy Birthday Regis!" Huff, a member of MU's student comedy troupe Comedy Wars, rewarded the crowd with his famous, dead-on Regis Philbin impression.

No comments: