Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Broken teeth and Friday Night Fights

This workshop is getting better and better. Yesterday my Rangefinder duties required me to go to Lam's Garden Chinese Restaurant in Crystal City to sample the food and write an article about it. Not only was their honey chicken exceptional, but I also met this interesting 18-year-old kid there named John McWherter. He's been working at Lam's for the last three weeks after getting fired from Walmart for filming himself breaking a Sobe bottle over his head while in uniform. He was on his way out the door with a buddy who was heading to buy a pregnancy test.

They also mentioned to me that they have fights on Fridays, a la "Fight Club." So I got their numbers and am hoping for good pictures come Friday.

We put out one of our best Rangefinder editions yet tonight. We got a lot of positive feedback, and I'm really glad we made the decision to kind of turn tradition on its ear and redesign the publication to a broadsheet format instead of the stuffy newsletter layout of the last several years. I feel like it's a more interactive read, plus it's a fun throwback to the dying newspaper industry. Heh. To check out Tuesday's Rangefinder, click the front page in the upper right.

Tonight's presentations were pretty phenomenal. The amount of talent, passion and hard work that these photographers (and faculty) are putting into this week is boggling, and it makes me jealous of their skills and accomplishments. I only hope that one day my writing will move people as much as MPW's photography is impacting me. It's certainly a big honor to be here, and I can't say enough good things about this project and what it's doing for storytelling in the Midwest. I wish there was one of these for writers.

CAPTION: John McWherter shows off the tooth he broke while trying to separate a piece of pipe with his teeth.

No comments: