Thursday, June 4, 2009

Google Maps

I'm obviously late on the scene, but Google Maps' "My Maps" feature is incredible. I've been playing with it continuously since I got here, creating customized placemarks to keep track of everything from restaurants to museums to Subte stations. The map I've designed for my Buenos Aires 2009 stay is designed to be a collection of places where I spend a lot of time or sites that I'm interested in visiting.

Beyond helping me realize how incredible modern cartography is, my first foray into personal map-making has helped me navigate and get to know the city much better than I would have if I had just looked at a hard copy. I think that if I approached Columbia or my hometown in the same way, I'd learn a lot more about the city...and maybe even have a keener eye for out-of-the-way dives that have so far gone unnoticed.

One of neatest aspects (for me) is that I can share the map with family and friends to give them a better picture of my environment, and I can even use it to make recommendations to those who might be planning to travel in the same area.

And the best part is that it's a living creation, always growing as I visit and hear about new places. If you're interested in taking a closer look at where I've been and where I'm going, ask me for a link.

No comments: