Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

There's a shortage of fathers in the world, and there are even fewer good ones. That's why it blows my mind that I've got one of them. Unfortunately, fathers rarely get the credit they deserve. But this, Father's Day, is the weak attempt of us children to acknowledge all that they've done for us.

But maybe it's a good thing – experiencing such un-repayable service and sacrifice – because it teaches us what's required to be good fathers. I know that I'm exceptionally blessed to have my dad, who has given so much sweat, money, time, and counsel (and I'm sure he's experience much consternation) to provide me with all the opportunities he could. While it's important to express my gratitude often and sincerely, perhaps the only true way to repay what he's invested is by passing it on.

A good man is hard to find. I love you, Dad. Thanks for everything.

No comments: