Sunday, March 1, 2009

Film gluttony

Little did I know that Columbia boasts a prestigious documentary film festival.

It turns out that the city hosts the True/False Film Festival, and this weekend The District was flooded with excited film-goers clamoring to see the 33 films that were screened over the last four days.

I was lucky enough to score a press pass, along with about seven free tickets that secured access to the films that added important background info for my story. With the help of the press pass, I was able to see a few others by queuing up for an extra space that wasn't pre-sold. Altogether, I saw eight films – four today and four yesterday.

Two of the films I saw, We Live in Public and Food, Inc., were incredibly stimulating, so I'll post some thoughts about those shortly.

True/False has been an incredible experience. It's a nonstop experience – like secret parties that start a 1 a.m. – and it's been an immensely rewarding and entertaining experience. One of the best ways I can think of to spend a weekend.

To anyone interested in reading more about the festival and seeing how True/False stacks up with the best of the best (like Sundance, Toronto and IDFA), please check out my story for the Columbia Missourian.

No comments: