Monday, February 23, 2009

Working at Circuit City

A man came to the bar at the coffee shop on Friday and stood there awkwardly. His right arm ended in a hook, and the pinky of his left hand was dropped down almost to his wrist.

He collared Steve, the other barista on shift, and asked to use the bathroom. When he got back he asked Steve to write something down on a piece of paper.
"I found a part-time job for myself," he said.
"That's great," Steve replied. "So, what do you want me to write?"
"I found a part-time job for myself," the man repeated.
"Oh. Right," Steve said and began to write as the man dictated:

"...and I'm making a better life," he continued, "...and she's pregnant."
Whoa, now. One look at this guy, and you think it'd be unlikely he would be impregnating anyone. But that's what it sounded like he was trying to say in the note. When he was done dictating, the man asked Steve to tape the note to his hook-arm.
"The police already know all about this," he said, pointing the note on his arm. "They know about him."

"Who?" we asked.

"The guy that pulled me out of the motel. I was in there with her."
It just got weirder.
He went on, "She was sitting on the bed in her underpanties and bra. I didn't have sex with her. I didn't say anything when they pulled me out. I learned not get down about a woman leaving me. I believe in myself. I got a job at Circuit City."
Odd, since Circuit City is folding. He left, but he was back a little while later, asking Steve to tear the note up and throw it away for him.

One of the oddest encounters I've ever had.

1 comment:

illbred said...

I didn't understand this, you should probably explain to me in person tonight at 10:30pm at my house with beer.