Sunday, November 2, 2008

Obama Nation

Carnahan Quad is quiet today, but the pockmarked grass still gives ample testimony to 40,000 pairs of feet that stood there on Thursday night, raptly listening to the man who could be the next president of the United States.

Mizzou went nuts; people started lining up about 7 hours before Obama started speaking. I hung out there for a couple of hours watching the hustle and bustle and taking a few photos. When I left at 6:30 p.m., the snakey line was on its way to being a mile long.

I can't shake the feeling that, no matter how the election turns out, Obama will always be the candidate that, at least from a narrative perspective, should have won the presidency.

As I was taking pictures of them setting up the security checkpoint, a couple of guards told me to stop. I asked if I was somehow prohibited from taking pictures, and one guy replied, "Well legally you can, but this is national security here and if you post these images on the Internet you're feeding information to terrorists."



No comments: