Monday, November 3, 2008

Bacchanalian Mondays: This guy

Kyle MacDonald. He bartered his way from a paperclip to a house in just 14 trades. Now, he's trying to trade the house.

I first heard about this a couple of years ago, and I used to think it was the coolest thing ever. Now I'm just pissed off that I wasn't this creative. Why can't I think of a way to get something for (essentially) nothing and then turn it into a book and make a bunch of money? Sigh.

Ok, I still think it's pretty cool.

This guy also decided to be a freelance mail carrier, delivering mail to people all over the world. Other people have done this, though, including my sister and brother-in-law.

See, there's a barrel on Floreana Island in the Galapagos. They call it "Post Office Barrel" and there's a tradition that goes with it. You're supposed to address a postcard and put it in the barrel. Then, you take another postcard (or more) out of the barrel that's addressed to someone who lives in a city that you plan on visiting, and you deliver it to that person personally. They could receive it weeks, months or years later after it was written.

No comments: