Wednesday, October 29, 2008

United States of Disgrace

The Times reported yesterday that the United States launched an air strike on a village in Syria. The U.S. government explained it as a "warning" to the Syrian government that it needs to ratchet up the pressure on foreign extremists who are staging offensive operations into Iraq.

“You have to clean up the global threat that is in your backyard — and if you don’t do that, we are left with no choice but to take these matters into our own hands," an American official anonymously said in an interview with the Times.

Syria has said that an undisclosed number of civilians were killed in the attack, which targeted a man called Abu Ghadiyah. Ghadiyah, who was supposedly training militants for an intended attack into Iraq, was allegedly killed either during the assault or after he was in U.S. custody.

I'd like to turn the tables for a moment. Let us suppose that it was Syria who bombed a small town in our country--perhaps Columbia, Mo.--because they disagreed with policies being enacted by our government. We would be outraged.

Yet why is it that we give ourselves the right to violently tout our agenda on other countries? Come to think of it, how is it that we have military forces stationed in scores of other countries (including other superpowers) but amusedly deny foreign military bases on our soil? Why do we have weapons of mass destruction but issue frenzied ultimatums to other countries that they must put an immediate end to their nuclear programs?

I'll ask one more time: What if someone did what we did to Syria and staged an attack on our country, shrugging it off as a warning? Oh wait, someone did. I think we call it September 11, 2001.

I'm bitterly disappointed with my nation's leaders, and I find the complaceny displayed by my nation's people to be a grave concern. I am outraged.

4 comments:

absolutelyape said...

Why do you put "Times" in quotations?

Patrick Kingsley Miller said...

Well put.

Emily Moberly said...

Micah and I had this same discussion yesterday... with crappy decisions like this its no wonder all my students think the U.S. is trying to rule the world.

Jarred D. said...

I can't help but agree with most of what you had to say. This, in my mind, is just a reflection of the vast insecurities Americans have. I don't know if I agree with the statement about 9/11 as the basis for that was more malicious (an attack based on religious differences) than political in my mind. I still refuse to support any attack on foreign countries tho. I'm sick of America being the world police.