Saturday, August 23, 2008

Manspeak

Sports. It's the universal man language.

The beautiful thing about it is that (usually) no matter what fellow male you meet, you can bridge the conversational gap by a well placed, "So did you see the game last night?" This can provide a subject that will sustain prolonged discussion.

I, however, am far behind the rest of my brethren. Despite attending a month-long, rabidly athletic camp for 10 summers, I remain pathetically devoid of knowledge about any sport except soccer.

Examples: My NFL knowledge barely has room for a vague knowledge of who Barry Sanders is and why he was notable. My NBA knowledge is solely dependent on the 1993 video game classic, "NBA Jam." This means that the only players I am even slightly familiar with are Moses Malone, John Stockton, Scottie Pippen Dennis Rodman, and a few others.

My brother recently salvage an awkward lunchtime rendezvous with an acquaintance by discussing the highs and lows of cycling in the Tour de France and the merits of the North Carolina Tarheels. After seeing the power of sports in action, I am convinced that an integral part of becoming a man is developing a basic foundation of pertinent sports trivia.

No comments: