Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Everybody comma on!

I can say it: I'm into commas.

It hasn't always been this way. In fact, it had a gradual beginning, just like most things of its kind. I started by dabbling.

"Oh, it's okay; just use it this once!" I thought to myself. But, of course, it didn't stop there.

The first time wasn't so bad; there wasn't anything wrong with using just one, so why not use two this time? By then, was already too late. I had begun the addict's justification.

Then, pretty soon, I began incorporating them all the time, and my usage became irrational, out of control. Commas were popping up everywhere, I was even doing comma splices just to feel anything.

When I finally realized how out of proportion things had become, I scaled our affair back to the other extreme. Total overcompensation. Before long I wouldn't I would even have anything to do with them. Even if they were absolutely definitely needed I wouldn't use them. My sentences became jumbled hard to understand messes pieced together with detailed descriptive image-conjuring adjectives without separation.

Now I'm taking my life back from the two extremes, trying to strike a satisfactory balance, and trying to rekindle a healthy relationship with commas.

No comments: