Friday, May 30, 2008

Fireflies

Light rules.

Last night, I was driving home from an especially enjoyable evening out.

My parents' house is on a hill, and you have to drive through the valley before you reach the driveway. On either side of the road are two open fields, and since we live out in the country, the road can be quite dark.

Occasionally, I like to turn my lights off and look at the starry sky on clear nights. Last night was one of those nights, so I pulled over to the side of the road and just savored the night.

I saw something flashing in the grass. Thinking it might have been someone's cell phone or something, I checked it out. It turned out to be a firefly that had crash-landed--the first one I've seen this year.

I looked up, and was surprised to see both of the fields on either side of the road lit up with thousands of fireflies gliding and floating and lighting up at intervals. Seriously, they were everywhere. It was amazing, with the stars overhead and the phosphorous glow from the fields. I've never seen anything like it.

Mmm, summer.

1 comment:

emily gilbert said...

i'm so glad you said light "rules."