Wednesday, February 6, 2008

How you'd have a happy life

I've been wrestling with the frustration of not being able to bring myself to do the things I claim to love. Obviously, this is something that humans have struggled with always.

The apostle Paul addresses in Romans 7, and it is the topic of a book I'm about to purchase called "The War of Art" by Stephen Pressfield.

Pressfield hypothesizes that we are caught in a constant fight against ourselves to produce artistic expression; "in other words act that rejects immediate gratification in favor of long-term growth, health or integrity."

Why this is the case, I have no idea. But, I plan on reading the book to find out. Whatever the reason, it's pissing the hell out of me.

Edit: While I was in the sauna/shower (which is one of my prime thinking spots), I was thinking about what it would take to get the intimate photographic pictures that really move people. After a while, I figured that it's probably the depth of your relationship with your subject, which means that you've got to have highly developed people skills.

In the past, one of my top strengths has been winning people over. But, I seem to have stopped making a conscious effort to meet people. So, how can I continue to develop this skill?

I've never been much for observing Lent, but today is Ash Wednesday, and it got me kind of curious about what a long-term fast would look like. So, I've decided to fast from avoiding conversation. (Although, because I'm a wuss and I also don't want to do the Lent thing, I've decided to make my experiment 30 days in length instead of 40). Expect a follow-up on March 7.

I think that almost everyone has an interesting story to tell. It just might need some help being unpacked. In keeping with the whole productivity theme, I'm going to work on this aspect of my craft. I'm going to seek out conversation and keep track of the people I meet. I'm going to find out what people have to say.

You smile, mention something that you like or
How you'd have a happy life if you did the things you like

-- "Dark of the Matin
e
e" by Franz Ferdinand

No comments: